Public Information Request
Procedures to Obtain Information
- Submit a request by mail, fax, email, or in person according to Sweeny Independent School District’s (SISD) procedures.
- Include a clear description and detail about the requested information to enable the SISD to identify and locate the requested information accurately.
- Cooperate with SISD efforts to clarify the type or amount of information requested.
To request information from the Sweeny Independent School District, send your request in writing (email, mail, fax, or hand-delivered) to:
Information to be released
- You may review it promptly (immediately). If it cannot be produced within 10 working days, the Communications Director or Superintendent will notify you in writing of the reasonable date and time when it will be available.
- Keep all appointments to inspect records and to pick up copies. Failure to keep appointments may result in losing the opportunity to review the information at the time requested.
Information that may be withheld due to an exception
- By the 10th business day after Sweeny Independent School District receives your written request, SISD must:
- request an Attorney General’s opinion and state which exceptions apply;
- notify the requestor of the referral to the Attorney General, and notify third parties if the request involves their proprietary information.
- Failure to request an Attorney General’s opinion and notify the requestor within 10 business days will result in a presumption that the information is open unless there is a compelling reason to withhold it.
- Requestors may send a letter to the Attorney General arguing for release and may review arguments made by Sweeny Independent School District.
- The requestor may obtain a redacted copy of the statements to disclose the requested information.
- The Attorney General must issue a decision no later than the 45th working day from the day after the attorney general receives the request for a decision.
- The attorney general may request an additional 10 working day extension.
- Sweeny Independent School District may not ask the Attorney General to "reconsider" an opinion.
Cost of Records
- You must respond to any written estimate of charges within 10 business days of the date the Sweeny Independent School District sent it, or the request is automatically withdrawn.
- If estimated costs exceed $100.00, the Sweeny Independent School District may require a bond, prepayment, or deposit.
- You may ask the Sweeny Independent School District to determine whether providing the information primarily benefits the general public, resulting in a waiver or reduction of charges.
- Make a timely payment for all mutually agreed charges. Sweeny Independent School District can demand payment of overdue balances exceeding $100.00 or obtain a security deposit before processing additional requests from you.
The Public Information Act
Texas Government Code, Chapter 552, gives you the right to access government records; an officer for public information and the officer’s agent may not ask why you want them. All government information is presumed to be available to the public. Certain exceptions may apply to the disclosure of the data. Governmental bodies shall promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, either constitutional, statutory, or by judicial decision, or information for which an exception to disclosure has been sought.
Rights of Requestors:
Responsibilities of Governmental Bodies:
Complaints about the Process
For complaints regarding failure to release public information, please contact:
Open Records Hotline:
Open Government Cost Hotline: